Part geography and part mythology, the American West retains a powerful allure in popular culture. Explore depictions of the people, lifestyles, and landscapes of the 19th century West to better understand this dynamic period of history. Videoconference presenters show American artworks from the museum’s collection using green screen. Through inquiry-based questions and discussion, presenters engage with participants as they explore artworks together.
After participation in this videoconference, your students will be better able to:
- Understand the period of westward expansion in America during the 1800s;
- Describe the effects of westward expansion on Euro-American settlers’ and American Indians’ lives;
- Reflect upon and assess artworks depicting westward expansion and the ideals of Manifest Destiny;
- Use visual vocabulary to articulate observations and interpretations of artworks.
- Duration: 45-60 minutes
- Grades: 4-12
- Price: FREE (5 to 30 students)