The Virginia Zoo functions as a true hybrid operation through the joint efforts and constant communication between the staffs of the Virginia Zoological Park (VZP) and the Virginia Zoological Society (VZS). VZP staff maintains all animal exhibits and provides animal care and husbandry, maintains the lush grounds and gardens, oversees most building repair and maintenance, and manages the Zoo’s ticket booth.
VZS staff operates the Zoo’s gift shop, restaurant and concessions, educational programs, special events and parties, membership program, marketing and promotions, and fundraising and grant writing through the private sector.
The staffs of both organizations work side-by-side on a daily basis and the operation of the two organizations are not only closely related and complementary, but are mostly indistinguishable.
The Virginia Zoological Park is committed to saving and protecting the world’s wildlife by inspiring a passion for nature and taking conservation action at home and around the world.
This mission is accomplished in the following ways.
- By demonstrating leadership in wildlife conservation and animal welfare.
- Providing a broad audience with outstanding and unique educational opportunities that lead to the appreciation and stewardship of nature.
- Inspiring and serving our community with engaging, meaningful, safe and memorable experiences.
- Providing innovative zoological facilities for events and programs that contribute to the region’s economic vitality.
- By demonstrating organizational excellence consistent with a commitment to outstanding service, progressive resource management and environmental leadership.